45 SHARES

For 4 years I served as a Youth Director for my local church. In that time I learned countless things about God’s word, God’s work, leadership, responsibility,¬†servant-hood¬†and (unfortunately) politics.

Every business or organization has it, so it’s not entirely surprising that their is a such thing as “church politics”. The sad part is that they can be more prominent and less well-intended than you might expect from God-loving people. Because of the politics, policies and certain leadership decisions, I’ve had to hold my tongue on more than a few occasions. Not anymore though.

I’ve been praying over a number of blog posts that will tell the story of my experience in ministry. The good, the bad, and the ugly. The intent of this series is not to “bash” the church, but to point out areas in which the institution has fallen short, or can be better.

Below, you will find each one of the posts in this series:

If you have an experience, observation, or suggestion you’d like to share in this series, I’d love to hear about it! Feel free to contact me here and I might feature your story as a guest post! If you wish to remain anonymous, I will respect your privacy and publish the post from an anonymous source.

Photo Credit: Pictured – Chris Nicely taken by F8 Photography

45 SHARES

Get On The Insiders List

Get exclusive content via email, gain instant access to a growing library of downloadable resources, and first priority for the latest happenings!

Comments

1. says

I really appreciate this series. I am shocked that you weren’t allowed to talk about academic idolatry.

I’m very blessed in that I have a lot of freedom with the youth to talk about things that they struggle with, point them out, and encourage them deeply. It’s also a very small youth group which makes those sorts of discussions a lot easier (lots of qualifying questions can be asked! haha).

• says

My advisors thought that parents might not take the “Academic Idolatry” thing the right way and we would lose families.

And yes, smaller youth groups make things a lot easier. Although my group was “small”, we were connected to a much larger church body as a satellite campus.

2. says

It’s the best thing I heard all year! lol Seriously, this is pure Revelation! I sincerely believe that Evangelizing is a time to not introduce your church, but your faith, it’s blessings and the change God can bring! I love evangelizing in the park in down town Brooklyn and talk with a person who has the normal nyc rude disposition (the one I have at times) and end with tears, laughter or a sincere thank you. They might not get that one on one from visiting my church or may not even come. I love this Site, there is always a fresh word for the now generation!! Be blessed!

• says

Thank you Marilyn! I’m encouraged by what you do– I’ve been to New York a few times, and I know how difficult people there can be. I think God’s placed you there on purpose, for a purpose!

• says

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I had a pure mommy trying to multitasking moment, because I thought I was posting on “Stop inviting people to church”, silly me! I enjoyed this also and am glad you didnt lose your passion for the Gospel, because I did years ago due to political restraints in church. Our merciful God put me back on track, thank Goodness.

3. says

Dustin – what a wonderful, open heart you have for the LORD! I was grateful to read your posts and heartily agree with you. I am a pastor and I know the pain of watching people embrace worldly priorities over Christ. And I also know the difficulty of trying to help people understand the need to express their love for and share about the Lord Jesus rather than just inviting the lost to church. Evangelism has morphed into a sales-pitch of a “check out how wonderful my church is” approach.

I’ve been in ministry for over 20 years and have seen the challenges that you shared up close. Perhaps someday I will share with you the story of when I told the first church I pastored that having Sunday school is not in the Bible. :)

Be blessed and have a happy New Year!